I think you will all agree that one of the best parts of a site like this isn’t the articles themselves, but the conversation back and forth about the articles, games, current news, etc. We have some amazing conversations with this group and I really wanted to make sure I had a way for you guys to post your own ideas, articles, etc. I also wanted to let you know my plans for the future of the site and lastly give you a heads-up on the donation button. Here are some pieces of information for you to get more comfortable on your new site:
First off, you don’t need to register to comment on posts. If you want to comment on something someone has said, just fill out the NAME and EMAIL ADDRESS at the bottom of any post/comment stream. Then type what you want in the box and you will be heard!
If you would like to post your own articles then you will need to register/sign-up for the site. This is accomplished by doing the following:
- On the bottom/right corner of the front page there is a box entitled LOGIN
- Below the username/password there is a link entitled “REGISTER“
- There is also a link at the bottom of each page called, “SIGN-UP“
- Click on this link (OR HERE) and it will take you to a page that will ask you for a USERNAME and EMAIL ADDRESS
- Once you fill it out you will get an e-mail with your password (usually a cryptic jumble of digits)
- Copy this password and then you can LOGIN by going to the LOGIN box on the front page, or click the link in the e-mail
- Type your username/password and login
- The VERY FIRST thing you should do is change your password to something you will remember!
- There should be a link at the top to help with this
- Or you can go to your PROFILE on the left hand side
- Once you are registered, you are ready to post an article
POSTING AN ARTICLE/OPINION____________________________________________
Before posting, please be sure that there isn’t an article already up covering what you are posting about. I will try to get anything that is major (new player signings, big team news, etc.) into the NEWS section as soon as it happens, but it might take me a bit at times. If you post something major before me, I will most likely move it from the SOUND OFF section to the NEWS section for you, making your post front/center.
Here are the steps to follow if you would like to post something:
- Login to your account
- There is a login at the bottom/right of the front page
- Once you are logged in you will see a box showing the links for “DASHBOARD“, “PROFILE” and “LOGOUT” that looks like this:
- Click on DASHBOARD and you will be taken to the “posting area”
- Here you will see on the top/right hand side a section called, “QuickPress”
- Click in the TITLE box and type a title for your post
- Click in the CONTENT box and type your thoughts
- If you want you can put tags with your post, separated by commas
- for example “tulo, helton, cargo”
- Once you are done you can either hit PUBLISH or you can click on SAVE DRAFT
- On the left hand side there is a link called, “POSTS” that you can go into and see any drafts you have saved or you can also post from here
Several pictures on this site (like the Tulo swing and the fireworks shot above) were taken by myself. As far as I know, if I take the picture I have rights to use it. If any of you know differently, please let me know. Also, if any of you have images that I can use I would LOVE to incorporate them into the site. I will be adding a “contact” page soon, but until then you can e-mail me: jaredean [at] roxwalkoff [dot] com (sorry about the funky format, don’t want the spambots to snag that)…
I’d also like to know what features you would like to have added to the site. Here are some that I want to add over the next few weeks, getting us ready for the season:
- First and foremost I want to set up the ASK ED section and get him rolling on some Ump Answers!
- A way to vote for your favorite games of all time (Bob in WV also thought of this)
- A way to “rate” each game after it is over so we can get an idea of what games that season have been gems
- A section for “guest insiders” to post in
- Like Steve, Cowboy, Marc, etc. if they want to
- Gametime live chat
- This comes from noticing that on ITR, when Steve would post the line-up, almost all of the comments below the post (after the game started), were from ITR’s watching and saying something about what was going on. I loved to read these during the games and thought it would be nice to have a “live chat” during the games for those that want to watch and comment in real-time. Then I want to archive that chat with the game wrap-up so we have a way to go back and view it.
- I want to setup a way for those that are at the games to give an “on the scene” report
- Sort of like a quick tweet or post with a picture if you want, or some text talking about what you are seeing at the time
- Most likely will incorporate this into the chat, but make it easy for those on an iPhone/Android/etc. to do it
- Those are just a few of the ideas i have…there are others I don’t want to “tip my hand” on quite yet, but suffice it to say, I’m committed to having this site blossom throughout the year and you will one day look back at what is here and say, “wow, it started out so small!”
So, please let me know what ideas you guys have and I’ll throw it into the mix.
Also, if you would like to be a “feature” writer then let me know and I will give you a “special login” that will allow you to write under the other sections. I would like someone who can really put together a great article that I can call on if I will be away and need a fill-in.
Lastly, I wanted to announce the “donations” menu that is on the site. When I first posted on ITR, asking if people would be interested in possibly buying the site, there were many that said they would be willing to pitch in to either buy ITR or build a new one. Others mentioned having a monthly fee associated with it. I didn’t really want to have a fee, because I like the idea of anyone being able to come on the site and post/comment without having to pay. But, I did like knowing that if I jumped into this I would have at least a little financial support from some of you guys to help it along. It has taken a bit more than I was expecting to launch and there will be monthly costs associated with it. I’ve looked into putting an ad on the site, but don’t want too many (they are distracting to me) and know they really don’t bring in a lot of money at all.
So, I set up a donation button for those that want to help with the site costs. I don’t want there to be any pressure to donate. Any amount would be wonderful and if you can’t or don’t want to I completely understand. It just made me feel really good seeing all of the questions and comments from several saying they were in a position to “give to the cause”.
You can either click the “DONATE” link in the menu, or you can click HERE if you’d like to contribute.
Thanks guys and GO ROCKIES and HAPPY NEW YEAR!