Jeff Francis continued to put distance between him and his first two starts of the season.
You remember those, right? 8.2 innings pitched combined to choke out 12 runs and a 12.46 ERA?
His last four starts you ask? Why they combined for 21 innings and only five earned, dropping his ERA to a respectable 5.16.
Well, respectable for the Rockies that is. You can’t really talk about true respect when you are discussing a team that has only won seven games in their last 25 efforts.
Seems like the only pitcher that can get the team on the road to a win is Francis. Since he joined the team if he is on the mound the team has a 5-1 record. If he isn’t?
They are 2-15.
The other bright spot of the night would be one Mr. Tyler Colvin. The Rockies won 3-2 and without Colvin’s bat they would have been shutout 0-2.
Colvin came into the third inning ready to take advantage of a walk and an error by the Red Birds to deposit his latest souvenir into the right-center field seats.
The only fans more upset at Colvin this season, other than the Cardinals at that moment?
That would be the Cubs, who get to hear about each and every Colvin at-bat by the fans that lament the fate of the player they received in return, one Ian Stewart. The same Stewart that just announced Monday he would undergo season ending wrist surgery.
At least something is going right for this team….baby steps….baby steps.
- Jeremy Guthrie will be starting on Wednesday night, possibly because Outman will be busy legally changing his name to Walkman. Or was that Hitman? MissTheStikeZoneBadlyMan?
- Dexter Fowler, after the game, told Troy Renck that his lat is “90-to-95 percent” good to go.
- CarGo is considered the underdog to win the HR Derby according to sports betting site Bovada
- Hernandez will begin a rehab assignment Wed or Thur in Triple A
- Juan Nicasio will pitch a simulated game Thursday