The Rockies made several roster moves to begin the 2nd half of their season, including the following:
- Ramon Hernandez has been activated and will start behind the dish tonight, batting cleanup. He missed 42 games on the disabled list with a left hand strain. The catcher played in four rehab games at Triple-A Colorado Springs and hit .167 (2-for-12) with one home run and 4 RBI. In 27 games for the Rockies this season, he is batting .215 (20-for-93) with 5 doubles, 4 home runs and 15 RBI. The veteran backstop is a .265 (1,315-for-4,966) career hitter with 255 doubles, 165 home runs, 738 RBI and 568 runs scored in 1,484 Major League games with Colorado (2012), Cincinnati (2009-11), Baltimore (2006-08), San Diego (2004-05) and Oakland (1999-2003).
- Josh Rutledge has been called up from double-A and will start at short, batting eighth (he will use Tulo’s glove and CarGo’s batting glove). Rutledge, 23, has spent the entire 2012 season at Double-A Tulsa, where he has batted .306 (109-for-356) with 27 doubles, 3 triples, 13 home runs, 35 RBI and 14 stolen bases in 87 games. Rutledge was named to the Texas League Mid-Season All-Star team. The Cullman, AL native was a California League Post-Season All-Star in his first full professional season in 2011. With High-A Modesto last season he batted .348 (160-for-460) with 33 doubles, 9 triples, 9 home runs, 71 RBI and 91 runs. He was drafted by Colorado in the third round of the 2010 First-Year Player Draft out of the University of Alabama. Rutledge was rated the 10th-best prospect in the Rockies organization prior to 2012 by Baseball America.
- Todd Helton has been placed on the 15-day DL with a sore right hip (retroactive to July 9th). This marks Helton’s first DL stint since he was on the 15-day DL with lower back stiffness 7/7-8/3/10.
- Mike Ekstrom has been called up from Triple-A and will join the bullpen tonight. He will be returning to the Major League for his fifth-straight season. He has appeared in Major League games with San Diego (2008-09) and Tampa Bay (2010-11). The right-hander has spent all of 2012 to date at Triple-A Colorado Springs as a reliever. In 37 games this season he has gone 2-1 with one save and a 2.64 ERA (47.2 ip, 14 er), 15 walks and 51 strikeouts. In 36 career Major League games, Ekstrom is 0-3 with a 5.36 ERA (45.1 ip, 27 er), 24 walks and 36 strikeouts. He was signed as a Minor League free agent by Colorado on December 16, 2011, and was a non-roster invitee to Major League Spring Training.
- Tyler Chatwood has been optioned to Double-A in Tulsa
- Wil Nieves was placed on the 15-day DL with right turf-toe (retroactive to July 9th).
- Jorge Del La Rosa moved from the 15-day DL to the 60-day DL (To clear room on the 40-man roster).