There are a lot of problems with the Rockies. Most can be explained through lack of experience, injuries, lack of management, etc. But the one big flaw facing this team lately is the lack of hitting in key situations by certain key players.
Last night it was Jason Giambi who came up with bases loaded in the top of the seventh. He promptly hit into a double play on the first pitch he saw. After the game many fans questioned why CarGo wasn’t the pinch hitter.
Tonight that question was answered. CarGo was put into a situation that his talent and salary should be able to match. It is no secret that when he is on his game even nasty sliders are no problem. But this season that’s been pretty rare, especially after the All-Star break. He has one of the worst records on the team since August 1st, hitting .254 | .342 | .358 with only 2 HR’s and 26 ko’s on 134 AB’s. So when CarGo stepped up to the plate in the fifth with the Giants up 3-1 and the bases loaded, you had to feel like it was another slump inducing situation. Especially with Cain dealin on the mound.
But Dexter Fowler was on first because Cain’s GPS batteries seemed to die during his at-bat, and the ball was anything but over the plate. Pitches were way outside, dirt-bound and eventually coming at the head of Fowler before he walked, his third of the night. So CarGo, just a few feet away in the batters box, had an excellent view of the potential for another walk if he played it right.
As he has been so prone to do, CarGo hit a nice slow roller to Mr. Scutaro and the bases loaded ended up a bust.
Perhaps the Home Run Derby Curse is real after all.
CarGo did tell the DP that he would spend the summer in Florida working on getting better. Here’s hoping he spends the bulk of it trying to recognize how to take a walk.
- Kung Fu Panda golfed an excellent inside-low pitch by Chatwood for a 3-run home run. It was an instance of great pitching, better hitting.
- The Rockies only had four hits: two by Nellie and two by Blackmon.
- Ottavino gave up three earned runs in one inning of work on 27 pitches.
- Rosario continued to depress with his lack of catching/throwing skills. He had a throwing error, missing second completely on an attempted steal.
- The Rockies have lost 12 of their last 14 games.
- The Giants have beaten the Rockies 13 times this season.